Saturday, March 2, 2013

First Quilts : The Most Used

Hey y'all!  Hope you are having a great weekend!

There hasn't been much sewing this week since I have been busy preparing to take some of my students to a DECA competition this week.  Since I knew there wouldn't be much new stitching going on, I thought I'd share some of my very first quilts here on the blog.  Of course, I made (and gave away) quite a few quilts before I started blogging, but I do have three of my earliest quilts still hanging around.


This quilt, while not the very first, is definitely the most used.  I sit under it all the time while watching TV, blogging, and working on the computer.  I really should make a new lap quilt for myself since its a little on the short side.


I used a basic coin quilt pattern from a quilt magazine as a pattern for this.  Although I can't remember the name of the magazine or issue number now.  This quilt is probably at least 10 years old.  At the time that I made it I was learning to free motion quilt.  Amazingly, my borders came out pretty well.


And I am sure I had no idea that piecing a stripe down the back was "modern" ... I just knew I didn't have enough blue fabric!  I've actually pieced a stripe in the back of several quilts since.

Well that's all for this quilt ... I have two other "early" quilts to share with you soon.

Happy Sewing! :-)

3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with my first postage stamp quilt, its my favorite and its right there on the couch to cuddle with...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilting for a first up effort! And how lovely to be still snuggling under it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great record of your beginning FMQ work. It looks really well done too. I have a quilt that I made last year that's our usual family quilt and I can already see how much improvement I've made with my sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)