Sunday, January 8, 2012

Scrap Attack Strings QAL - Introduction

Hi there!  I am so excited to get started on this Scrap Attack Strings Quilt-A-Along (QAL)!  Are y'all ready?


So, for this scrappy QAL, I've decided to use a simple string block.  By no means is this a new design or new process to making the block, but I did prepare a tutorial to show you how I will be assembling mine.  It is a very easy and quick block ... which is the goal as I want to make a two blocks a week (2 for the size I want) for 40 weeks.  Also, by making blocks over many weeks, I will have new scraps and fabrics to work in I am sure!  :-)

My blocks wll finish at 5.5" square and my quilt will finish about 44" x 55" (80 blocks).  And here's a mockup of the general idea ...


If you want to make just one block a week, your quilt will be approximately 22" x 27".  I have chosen a fairly small size block so that I will be better able to work in those smaller pieces of favorites.  And if you don't enough scraps, just slice some strips off fat quarters or yardage and work them in! :-)

To add to the fun, once a month I will host a linky party so you can show us your blocks for the previous month (4 weeks).  And I'll choose a random participant to win a fun little surprise package.  The first linky will go up on February 5th and you'll have a week to add your first month's blocks to entered in the giveaway drawing.

Ready to join the fun?!  I hope you will!

Happy Sewing! :-)

6 comments:

  1. How fun! I think it will be an adorable quilt...I really don't have much in the line of scraps, so I'm not sure that I could make this work...I do think it would be great as a regular quilt...so I'm thinkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do have two bags of selvages...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fun and love sew this block.This quilt will stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this looks like a lot of fun for sure. I am thinking that if we want a larger quilt to either make more blocks per week or how about increasing the size of the block? I am thinking it would make a nice bed quilt. Also, maybe instead of using white for a beginning strip, maybe use black. Thinking in my head how it would look. What so you think of the ideas? Never made one before so am going to have fun doing this. Just starting so a little behind. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful - so doable. Found you thru another blogger - Linda at Eat,Sleep,Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea. I have 2 tubs full of selvages that I have been saving for 3 years!!!
    Here I go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)